to join its award-winning team, for both national and international touring!
POSITION DESCRIPTION – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
SHAUN PARKER & COMPANY
Shaun Parker & Company is one of Australia’s most far-reaching dance companies, having toured extensively internationally to 18 countries across Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and the United States. Based in Sydney, the Company has delivered a range of award-winning dance theatre productions, outdoor festival works and transformative dance education programs. Shaun Parker & Company has secured funding until the end of 2020, having been awarded 4-Year funding from the Australia Council, as well as multi-year funding from Create NSW. Shaun Parker & Company is renowned for its powerful, humanist dance theatre productions, which have touched audiences across the globe, transcending borders and demographics.
The Executive Director drives the strategic management of the Company and oversees the delivery of its vibrant artistic programs. Reporting to the Board and to the Artistic Director, the Executive Director supports the Company’s artistic vision with strong management and producing skills to generate and implement the Company’s repertoire of world-class productions at a national and international level. Producing to international festivals and venues is a major focus of the position.
Features of the role
- Contribute to leading an organisation that takes its award-winning cutting-edge, and innovative dance productions to the international stage.
- Collaborate with and get exposure to international networks, with regular attendance at international arts markets.
- Create employment opportunities for the Company’s outstanding creative artists and dancers.
- Lead and inspire support staff: Full time Associate Producer, Consultant Development Manager, Consultant Graphic Designer, Consultant Marketing/Social Media expert, Part-time Finance Manager, and Bookkeeper.
- Work with a creative arts organisation with established infrastructure and support including already-secured medium term funding, and a diverse, experienced, and supportive Board committed to agility, pace, practicality, and innovation.
Key Selection Criteria
- Extensive experience and proven track record producing performing arts productions.
- Experience touring performing arts productions nationally and internationally, and a network of relevant contacts both in Australia and overseas.
- Management experience at general manager or executive level including contract negotiation and management, overseeing staff, budgets, and grants.
- Proven ability to identify, develop, and negotiate funding opportunities in both government and private sectors.
- Experience developing marketing and publicity strategies, and in briefing consultants.
- A high level of autonomy and demonstrated good judgement alongside a positive, vibrant management style.
- A commitment to the principles of inclusive ways of working and equal opportunities for our staff regardless of race, gender, sexuality or ability/disability.
- Lead the strategic direction of the Company in consultation with the Artistic Director and in line with the organisational strategic plan.
- Represent the Company at the domestic and international Arts Markets, industry events, and presentations as required.
- Identify, develop, negotiate, and produce new works, artistic programs, and tours (national, and international).
- Identify and drive new presentation opportunities and income streams for the Company and generate sustainable income from the Company’s repertoire of work.
- Coordinate all relevant activities and resources involved in the successful delivery of the Shaun Parker & Company program.
- Manage contract preparation, negotiation and execution.
- Develop and implement the Company’s international market development strategy in consultation with the Artistic Director.
Stakeholder and Public Relations
- Build and maintain relationships with presenters, stakeholders, partners, and collaborators; cultivate and maintain relationships with national and international venues, agencies, and festivals.
- Maintain and build advantageous relationships with other organisations to enable partnerships that help meet and/or enhance the Company’s objectives.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive engagement and communication strategy to grow relationships with key stakeholders within the private sector, government, and non-government agencies, and with donors, sponsors, and philanthropists to further promote and develop the Company and its programs.
Governance and Financial Management
- Provide high-level advice and guidance to ensure the effective administration, governance, and operation of the Company working closely with the Artistic Director and Board.
- Oversee financial management of the Company’s operations: develop and manage annual organisational and project budgets; supervise finance staff; coordinate financial reporting, and annual audit.
- Attend Board meetings, reporting on organisational activities, programs and financial status.
- Provide or oversee preparation of agendas, minutes, and all supporting documentation for Board meetings.
- Manage relationships with key funders (Australia Council and Create NSW) and manage grant submission agendas: prepare or oversee funding submissions and acquittals for government, philanthropic, partner, and sponsor organisations.
Human Resource Management:
- In consultation with the Board and the Artistic Director, maintain the appropriate structure to enable the achievement of the Company’s artistic objectives.
- Apply contemporary people management practices to support a high performing, motivated, and supportive team of staff and contractors including Associate Producer, Finance Manager, Bookkeeper, Development Manager, and any other consultants a required.
- Be adept in providing support to the Artistic Director, such that they are well positioned to create the artistic works to the best of their ability.
- Be responsible for the appointment, development, and review of personnel in consultation with the Artistic Director.
Marketing and Communications:
- Ensure that the organisation develops and maintains a strong contemporary brand by overseeing all aspects of marketing and communications including digital marketing strategies.
- Ensure the delivery of marketing strategies that develop audiences and drive ticket sales.
- Ensure the Company’s positioning and communications deliver a consistent brand message.
- Manage the Graphic Designer and Marketing/Social Media consultants where required.
Date of commencement: Flexible – In consultation with successful applicant.
For queries and to submit an application please email CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the Job Description criteria to:
Closing Date January 20th, 2019